Skip to main content

The Day After

Thanksgiving Day is over, but this does not mean that our devotion to thank God everyday should be. In Psalms 34:1, David declared, “I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.” How often do words like "blessed", "thankful," or "undeserving" pass our lips from day to day? I find that in my own conversations I am an expert at utilizing the statements "I want this," "I gotta have that," and/or "I just need a little more." Oh how quick we are to set our hearts on the possessions of this life that we lose sight of the promises of the life that is to come! Black Friday has become our new holiday. On Thanksgiving, we manage to quickly tip our hats to God, while taking a meager glance at the blessings we have already received. Yet, once we feel we have paid enough lip service, we immediately cast our eyes on bigger and better things.
For David, he not only made a commitment to praise God continually, but also he longed for others to join in the anthem of thanksgiving as well. We find in verse 3 that he wrote, “O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together.”Truly, one who bears the testimony of a thankful heart, will also be a witness of the gospel. Though our aim is to please the Father alone, our hearts should not be comfortable with leading a solo of praise, but we should desire for souls all around us to become part of the grace filled chorus we now sing.
You see, there was a reason why David was so involved in glorifying God and wanting others to do the same. Verse 8 states, “O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.” His life overflowed with joy and praise, because he experienced the glorious presence of God. Many Christians are not truly thankful, because it has been a long time since they have tasted of and seen God's goodness. Covetousness has blinded their eyes to the eternal matters of life and pride has stifled their hunger for knowing God. They don't try to find the time to sit at His feet in prayer and adoration. It has been far too long since they have nourished themselves with God’s blessed Word. They haven’t sought to know Christ from day to day. They are too busy nibbling on the morsels of empty religion to realize that their is a banquet of blessings waiting for them at the table of communion with Christ! May we learn that to truly praise Him, we must be first seeking our satisfaction in Him alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wondrous One

In a dirty cattle trough lay the desire of nations (Haggai 2:7) Born in a lowly town, surrounded by livestock(Micah 5:2) Such an entrance would seem rooted in utter humiliation. Yet, this glorious scene invokes worldwide wonder! To announce the coming of the King of Kings, Angels would sing to common shepherds. Prophets questioned and angel's marveled, but none could comprehend (1 Peter 1:12) That the simplicity, the sorrow, the promise of suffering, and death Would somehow be part of the splendor of God's loving plan. So that mankind, filled with darkness and decay, Would soon be filled with holy light and experience spiritual victory.

Wanderers

One night I dreamed of a massive crowd aimlessly wandering through an empty town I tried to stop several people as they passed by But they paid me no heed, as If deaf and blind Finally I happened upon a somber, yet curious lad He asked me, “What brings you to the Town of Misled?” I said, “I'm not sure how I got here, nor for what reason.” “Well then” The boy smirked without hesitation “You're in good company alright, for we are all met with the same plight. Our vision is impaired, our understanding is empty. Indeed we are stuck in endless mediocrity.” Once more I looked around at all the hollow expressions Then stared back at the tattered boy with deep compassion “What can I do to help you and all of these poor souls? Perhaps some money for food, a strong education, and fine clothes?” The boy began to cry, while shaking his head “You don't get it sir, we already have plenty we possess. Our needs lie not in material wealth and f...

WORLDCLASS SCRUTINIZERS

Lord willing, I will continue to post the "letters of Madam Darkshade", but for now, I am posting something I wrote a few days ago regarding criticism and scrutiny. Romans 14:1-3 , “ Welcome people who are weak in faith, but don't get into an argument over differences of opinion. Some people believe that they can eat all kinds of food. Other people with weak faith believe that they can eat only vegetables. People who eat all foods should not despise people who eat only vegetables. In the same way, the vegetarians should not criticize people who eat all foods, because God has accepted those people (GWT).” 1 Corinthians 13:7a, “Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person... (AMP)” We have lost the art of giving someone the benefit of the doubt. In today's society, perhaps even more in the church, people have become avid critics. At some point in life, we all experience both sides of the ju...