Skip to main content

Bah Humbug has a nice ring to it

Shocked is something I hardly experience anymore. I suppose my travels across the states and in other countries has left me somewhat hardened over the actions of others. It is not that I do not care about what people do, but I am no longer surprised at other people's follies and attitudes. With this in mind, there are rare occasions that cause me to think "what in the world are they doing? "  You see, not long ago I was in a store with my kids, when I heard an elderly lady ask my six year old son, “What is Santa bringing you for Christmas?” His response was classic, “Santa is not real!” Immediately her eyes glared with shock and a little bit of anger. She then proceeded to argue with him that Santa is real. This altercation only lasted a few seconds, but she ended this trivial debate by saying, “Well! Good children get their gifts from Santa, and bad kids get their gifts from their parents.”

I bit my tongue hard. Though I am not sure whether I would have yelled back at her or just busted out laughing. It amazes me how many people I meet scream over how intolerant “liberals” can be yet when it comes to Santa Claus, they make sure you know that you should show reverence to the idea of him or at the very least play along with a smile on your face. I have heard all the same arguments over why I am a terrible parent because I don't teach my kids that an all-knowing, cookie eating, and out-of-shape do-gooder gives them gifts. Then, for some odd reason, I had to take the time to purchase and wrap those gifts. Of course, Santa is not enough for some people. Now they need a reason to destroy their homes and blame it on a little creature. No, I am not referring to the movie Gremlins. I am referring to the weird and growing fad of Elf on the shelf.

Some people have seen very little. They are living in a first world country and have not realized that promoting Santa should be the last of concerns, during Christmastime. Am I the stick in the mud, the knot on a log? Am I the Grinch and an unconverted Scrooge? Yes, I suppose I am and I am better for it. I hear people talk about how I am not letting my children be kids, because I am stripping away the magic. Magic? Are you serious? I never knew there were so many learned wizards in America. With every child that will receive gifts under the artificial ruse of Santa , there will be three in this world who do not. Does this make their childhood “null and void”? Those who speak of the “magic of Christmas” need to be honest with themselves and realize that they are only reliving fading memories through their kids. American kids love Christmas. You know why? Is it Santa or elves and reindeer? Hardly. Let's be real. They love Christmas because they get presents. That's it. The “magic” is materialism. Do you think they would care about a bearded fat man who smiles, if he did not have a selling point of giving them whatever they want?

Probably, the only reason some parents fight hard for Santa is because they cunningly use him as a way to make their children behave. Many grandparents love this as well, so of course they will fight for Santa since he is their subtle nanny. I had someone once argue the point that teaching Santa to your kids is good, because he is like God! What nonsense! Of course, I have known of some teenagers who came to equate the jolly old man with God, but sadly they came to reason that if Santa was just a cute fable, then God was simply a myth as well. If anything, the teaching of Santa distorts the gospel in the eyes of children. It is probably never thought of but are we not creating a false idol, when we tell children that there is someone else other than God who knows all and can practically be everywhere present? Are we not diminishing the teaching of God's grace, when we tell kids that they will not get gifts unless they are good throughout the year? James 1:17 states, Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” (ESV)

Don't be so quick to write off Santa as harmless fun. Now, I realize that he is partly inspired by the real life of St. Nicholas and there have been some who point out this fact so they can feel good about their decision to "fib" to their kids. Yet, you'll be hard pressed to ever find them telling their children about St. Nick as much as Santa. Would it not be more beneficial to tell kids about an ordinary man who wanted to share the love of Christ in an extraordinary way? Instead of magnifying Santa and how they will get awesome gifts if they are good, why not magnify the fact that we are all called to give of ourselves and as Christ said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive”? (Acts 20:35) This is what made A Christmas Carol such a wonderful read. Scrooge learned to give. I know I previously wrote that for kids in America, the “magic” of Christmas was materialism, but my aim as a Christian and a parent is to show my kids that the joy, wonder, and “magic” of life is being spent, through the Spirit of Christ, on the needs of others.

Finally, in no way do I have some kind of disdain for people who teach their kids about Santa. Sadly, I realize that for many, it is one of those unwritten rules. They grew up with it and that is really all they know. My beef is with those who feel that it is their obligation to remind you that you are a Grinch, if you don't celebrate the way they do; and with those who look at kids, who don't acknowledge Santa's existence, like they are deprived and empty. As if Christ is not enough to have a Merry Christmas! Alright, I think I am done venting...for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Complacent Christianity

We have our spiritual programs, concerts, and conferences We have mounted our doctrines, promoted our denominations, and pushed our preferences We have booked calendars, busy lives, and countless bibles We have bumper stickers about faith, T-Shirts with scripture, and a mass marketed message of the gospel Yet, there is a steep decline in church attendance, a constant scorn for holy living, and a growing disdain for one's fellow man There is confusion over identity, carelessness over eternity, and an increase of biblical incompetence Perhaps it is because Christians have sought the favor of man above the fullness of the Spirit We have heralded our denominational differences, rather than proclaim the gospel to all who will hear it We mask our fear of complete surrender by hiding in a pew and handing over a tithe We timidly wade the surface of Christ-likeness rather than willingly take the glorious dive We must come

A Refreshing Witness

Proverbs 25:25 states,  “As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country.”  Most Americans do not realize the privilege in simply having clean, cold water accessible in their home. When I fill a glass of water, to my shame, I hardly ever think about the millions of people who have died because they have no reliable source of water. Of course, in verse 25, Solomon was illustrating a bigger point than just quenching someone’s physical thirst. He revealed that “good news” can be refreshing and reviving to one’s soul. Do you remember what Jesus said to the Samaritan woman by the well? He declared, “ But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life  (John 4:14).” There are millions of lives spiritually thirsty. They are destitute of  the water of everlasting life.  They need the love and light of Jesus to quench their dry spirits

WORLDCLASS SCRUTINIZERS

Lord willing, I will continue to post the "letters of Madam Darkshade", but for now, I am posting something I wrote a few days ago regarding criticism and scrutiny. Romans 14:1-3 , “ Welcome people who are weak in faith, but don't get into an argument over differences of opinion. Some people believe that they can eat all kinds of food. Other people with weak faith believe that they can eat only vegetables. People who eat all foods should not despise people who eat only vegetables. In the same way, the vegetarians should not criticize people who eat all foods, because God has accepted those people (GWT).” 1 Corinthians 13:7a, “Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person... (AMP)” We have lost the art of giving someone the benefit of the doubt. In today's society, perhaps even more in the church, people have become avid critics. At some point in life, we all experience both sides of the ju