Skip to main content

EXCUSING CHURCH

It has been months since my last article. I will not digress into all the factors as to why this is the case, only to mention that I am now ministering at Corinth Free Will Baptist Church in Alma, GA and my wife and I now have a beautiful 4 month old daughter added to our already rambunctious, and blessed family.


Excusing Church

In some form or another, I have heard the same statement for almost fifteen years - “I don’t have to go to church!” It may not be directly stated by certain people, but they will definitely get their point across that they do not “need” church. Now, understand that I am not referring to those who hold onto an atheistic or agnostic belief. I am writing about people I have met, through the years, who have claimed to believe in God and even in, for the most part, the preservation of His Word. I found that many of them were at one time faithful members of a church, yet stopped going to services either due to a church conflict, or just sheer busyness on their part.
Excuses for non attendance are never dull. For some, they believe that their spiritual heritage will make up their personal lack of devotion. I have known of a family to leave a church because they were angry over the fact that the pastor did not eat a bag of tomatoes they gave him (He didn’t realize they left the bag at the side door until 2 weeks later). I am not stating that there are no legitimate reasons for not going to worship services. No, often I have met people who loved God and loved church, but were completely unable to attend. Also, I fully believe that many “church going” Christians have lost sight of the call that we are to “be the” church, no just “go to” it. However, as you will find soon enough, the Bible not only teaches about the call to worship from the heart, but also about the command to worship through faithful fellowship.
         If I could take 90% of all the excuses I have heard why certain professed “believers” do not go to church, it would be summarized in three main reasons. First, it would be because of PRIDE. This covers a wide range of excuses. Whether it is from the one vehemently shouting, “Church is full of a bunch of hypocrites,” or from another declaring, “I don’t need church, because I can worship right here in my house,” their pride is the main culprit. I do sympathize with those who are disgusted by hypocrisy (Trust me; if anyone knows about hypocrites, it is the pastor!). Yet, for someone to say that they will not go back to church because of the lifestyle of Jane (or John) Doe, they are allowing others to dictate their walk with the Lord. Not to mention that, if they were honest, they would concede to the fact that they too are hypocritical in some form or another. The glaring truth is that the only good in us is JESUS CHRIST! Ephesians 4:2-3 states, “Be humble and gentle in every way. Be patient with each other and lovingly accept each other. Through the peace that ties you together, do your best to maintain the unity that the Spirit gives (God’s Word Translation).” Often I wonder how in the world it helps the congregation or the individual, when they leave the church simply because a certain few are fakes. The answer: IT DOESN’T.
Again, the pride factor is found in one who confidently declares, “I can worship right here at home!” This sort of “loner” mentality is never good. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 says, “Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up (KJV).” The writer of Ecclesiastes seemed to have everything going for him (Most scholars, if not all, believe that it was King Solomon). He had lots of money, land, servants, and did I mention money? In the end, he realized that everything in this world is “vanity” and it is only in true companionship and ultimately honoring God that we find the greatest satisfaction. It is stated in the Talmud, “A man without companions is like the left hand without the right.” Far too often, people picture themselves and their Christian walk as if they are a farmer alone in a corn field, not realizing that we are all fellow soldiers on a battlefield! Christians NEED each other. We are called to edify and strengthen one another, but how can this happen if we do not FELLOWSHIP? I have had my share of heartaches both within and without the church, but I praise God that during the hardest times of my life, I met with fellow ministers once a week to simply pray and help one another! You will find that to have someone help “bear” your burdens is truly priceless. Hebrews 10:24-25 affirms, “We must also consider how to encourage each other to show love and to do good things. We should not stop gathering together with other believers, as some of you are doing. Instead, we must continue to encourage each other even more as we see the day of the Lord coming (GW).”
The second factor is one that is probably the most genuine, which is pain. Yes, the reason why some do not go to church is because they have been hurt or they themselves have hurt someone in the congregation. I am not meaning in a physical sense, but more so emotionally and spiritually. For example, someone that used to be committed to worship services and invested much time in church functions, yet in the end, they wind up having their enthusiasm to serve snuffed out because they were let down by a leader in the church. This can happen if a preacher or a longstanding deacon is caught in immorality. Entire congregations implode, because so many put their trust in man’s personality rather than God’s truth. Proverbs 18:19a says, “A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city…” Whatever the situation, when a fellow believer has been emotionally & spiritually wounded by another, sometimes in discouragement he will leave the church. When this happens, pastors have often found it easier to try to jump to the moon than to get those who have been offended and hurt back in church.
However, this problem of pain makes its way not just to those who have been slighted, but also to those who have deeply “failed” others. There are many who get out of church altogether, because they cannot forgive themselves. The memories seem to painfully linger of how they were once so faithful, and yet in a time of temptation and weakness, their integrity and reputation came crashing down. In all honesty, if ever there was a “reason” I would stay away from fellowshipping with other believers, it would be because I let many people down. To be offended is one thing, but to be the offender is a whole new matter entirely. Guilt and anxiety settles in the heart, and the fear of facing those you have wronged seems to increase. After all, even Paul found it hard to forgive John Mark when he messed up (Acts 15)! Why would anyone forgive me or you, when we fail?
Sadly, I have seen the way some so- called Christians treat believers who have committed immorality or have been battling addictions. They are not kind and are certainly not Christ-like. The reality is that we will all be judged for not only what we do, but how we respond to those who have sinned! We must realize that without the GRACE and LOVE of God we are all worthless failures! Paul declared in Romans 5:8, But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” 1 John 3:1a states, Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God…”  God manifested His love to us while we were sinners and by His love He has adopted those who trust Him into His family!
            Have you been wronged, or have you failed someone lately? Meditate and rejoice in the love of God! Realize that we are called to forgive one another, just as Christ has forgiven us, and though many times we falter God’s mercy is “…new every morning (Lamentations 3:23a).” Keep your eyes on Christ. Don’t allow someone else to dictate your faithfulness to God and your association with fellow believers. Don’t allow pain and guilt to stifle your devotion to the church. In the race of life we are called to simply keep, focus on Jesus, the source and goal of our faith. He saw the joy ahead of him, so he endured death on the cross and ignored the disgrace it brought him. Then he received the highest position in heaven, the one next to the throne of God. 3 Think about Jesus, who endured opposition from sinners, so that you don't become tired and give up. (Hebrews 12:2-3 – God’s Word Translation).”
            The last factor as to why many people do not go to church is simply because of peer-pressure. Now there may be some readers thinking at this point, “Wait a minute, I’m not in elementary school anymore!” We must understand that intimidation is no respecter of persons. I remember, years ago, witnessing to a guy in college who seemed not only interested in coming to church, but also eager to learn more about Christ. However, his attention and enthusiasm almost immediately diminished when his “college buddy” pulled up in a large truck. As this so-called friend of his walked towards the porch where I stood, he realized that I was a “fanatic” preacher and began smugly mocking church goers. The guy I was talking with earlier changed his tune and quickly tried to find any excuse possible as to why he couldn’t go to church.
John 12:42-43 states, “Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on Him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue: For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.” The men in this passage that believed in Jesus Christ were members of the Sanhedrin. They were wealthy and influential, yet they were too cowardly to confess that they believed Jesus was the Messiah! In Greek, “they did not confess” implies a continual action which can be interpreted, “they kept on not confessing.” This literally means they continued to make excuses as to why they rejected Christ. Jesus said in Matthew 10:32-33, Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.” I have met a lot of “tough” people that declare, “I am not going to church, cause ain’t nobody gonna run my life!” But the sad irony is that their associations were already “running” and ruining their lives. It all boils down to one question: Do you love the praise of men, more than the praise of God?

Finally, there are some people who will not go to church because they are “pressured” by those within the church. What do I mean by this? Let me illustrate. When I was a teenager, I rode the bus to church. Being homeschooled, church was normally my outlet of a social life. One Sunday in particular I remember my mom made lasagna for lunch of which I ate huge portions. When I got to church that evening, my stomach felt….awful. I usually sat towards the front of the church, so during the service I ended up having to get out of my pew and run towards the restrooms in the back. Of course, I was too late. I “tossed” almost everything I had eaten onto the carpet in front of the whole congregation. It would be weeks before I went back to church. What little reputation I had was ruined. Do you know what happened when I eventually went back? Nothing, life went on and I ended up a year later answering the call to preach. Look, don’t let fear of “judgmental glances” or pressure over “keeping up appearances” keep you from worshiping God with like minded Christians! A Christian is a follower of Christ. This is our call! Jesus is calling to us just as He declared to Peter, “…what is that to thee? Follow thou me!”(John 21:22) I leave you with this wonderful truth: Christian, the salvation of souls is your lifelong assignment, the power of the Spirit is your timeless aid, and the glory of God is to be your supreme aim. God bless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Complacent Christianity

We have our spiritual programs, concerts, and conferences We have mounted our doctrines, promoted our denominations, and pushed our preferences We have booked calendars, busy lives, and countless bibles We have bumper stickers about faith, T-Shirts with scripture, and a mass marketed message of the gospel Yet, there is a steep decline in church attendance, a constant scorn for holy living, and a growing disdain for one's fellow man There is confusion over identity, carelessness over eternity, and an increase of biblical incompetence Perhaps it is because Christians have sought the favor of man above the fullness of the Spirit We have heralded our denominational differences, rather than proclaim the gospel to all who will hear it We mask our fear of complete surrender by hiding in a pew and handing over a tithe We timidly wade the surface of Christ-likeness rather than willingly take the glorious dive We must come

A Refreshing Witness

Proverbs 25:25 states,  “As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country.”  Most Americans do not realize the privilege in simply having clean, cold water accessible in their home. When I fill a glass of water, to my shame, I hardly ever think about the millions of people who have died because they have no reliable source of water. Of course, in verse 25, Solomon was illustrating a bigger point than just quenching someone’s physical thirst. He revealed that “good news” can be refreshing and reviving to one’s soul. Do you remember what Jesus said to the Samaritan woman by the well? He declared, “ But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life  (John 4:14).” There are millions of lives spiritually thirsty. They are destitute of  the water of everlasting life.  They need the love and light of Jesus to quench their dry spirits

WORLDCLASS SCRUTINIZERS

Lord willing, I will continue to post the "letters of Madam Darkshade", but for now, I am posting something I wrote a few days ago regarding criticism and scrutiny. Romans 14:1-3 , “ Welcome people who are weak in faith, but don't get into an argument over differences of opinion. Some people believe that they can eat all kinds of food. Other people with weak faith believe that they can eat only vegetables. People who eat all foods should not despise people who eat only vegetables. In the same way, the vegetarians should not criticize people who eat all foods, because God has accepted those people (GWT).” 1 Corinthians 13:7a, “Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person... (AMP)” We have lost the art of giving someone the benefit of the doubt. In today's society, perhaps even more in the church, people have become avid critics. At some point in life, we all experience both sides of the ju