Skip to main content

A Short Summary of the Book of Job

About a year ago I studied the book of Job to preach to teenagers on a Wednesday night. What seemed to be a simple study for one message, turned into a lengthy personal endeavor to summarize the chapters in Job to aid in better understanding. It is in no wise book worthy, but it was a refreshing panoramic view of the major events and discussions that transpired in this book.


 1-3 (Backdrop) God commends Job of his uprightness. Satan mocks Job's faithfulness as simply a fairweather fan and seeks to ruin his faithfulness to God through great loss. Satan is permited to destroy all that Job has. Job loses family, possesions, money, and honor. All lost with no graceful time of transition. It is not some slow sting of pain, but a massive blow to all that he holds dear. Job remains faithful, but Satan sneers at his devotion by complaining that Job loves his own body more and would be brought to ruin, if his health is taken away. Satan is permitted to bring upon him bodily sufferings. Job's wife betrays him in encouraging him to curse God. He reaffirms his devotion to God and relays the truth that such an act is foolish and fruitless. Jobs "friends" come to comfort him, but are astonished at his horrible condition. They are speechless for over a week, but during that time slowly swell into a prideful disposition.

Now here begins the lengthy discussion
 
Chapter 3 - Job 3:1-4 “After this opened Job his mouth, and cursed his day. And Job spake, and said, Let the day perish wherein I was born, and the night in which it was said, There is a man child conceived. Let that day be darkness; let not God regard it from above, neither let the light shine upon it.” Why don't I just die? This is far better for me than life!

Chapter 4 – Eliphaz - Would you be aggravated if we told you what we thought? Of course, that doesn't matter because we can't help but speak. You used to try to encourage people while they were hurting and in pain and now you are in pain and you are wanting to die? God is pure, so He judges your sinfulness.

Chapter 6:11-14 - Job's reply– You are here to try to push me down and I am in the lowest of lows?! What, am I stronger than stone? I'm just a weak man who is in need of comfort and yet you try to argue with me? Go ahead, if you have a good argument, but you know that I have not done wrong.

Chapter 7 – You have know idea how tough I have it! This is why I cry out for justice! (11-15)

Chapter 8 – Bildad – How much strong talk will you do without realizing that God acts justly and you are guilty. Vs 20 – God is hurting you because you have done wrong, now admit it!

Chapter 9 – Job - I already know that but how can I justify myself with God? I could argue 1,000 times and it would not matter. How much more then will I try not to say something foolish? And if I have done wrong, why would I seek so much to justify myself and not rather be restored? - 10:4 God you made me and you are not like man. You have lead me but somehow you have hurt me bitterly!

Chapter 11 – Zophar – Should you be permitted to go on with this nonsense? You talk too much, but God knows the truth. I am not going to let you stop me from telling the truth. God is holy and you must be in sin. Confess and you will be fine.

Chapter 12 – Job replies - Your ideas shall go to the grave, because they are foolish. I know as much as you in these areas. I am about to fall and yet you still mock me who is experiencing far more blessings than I can imagine. Chp 13 – I long to reason with God but you have lied about me.

Chapter 15 – Eliphaz again- Your speech sounds like wisdom, but it is crafty for were you first ever on this earth? Are you better than everyone else? You turn your back on God and justify yourself. Just confess! The wicked go through inumerable evils.

Chapter 16 – Job is angry - Ya'll are lousy friends! If you were in my state, I could land blast you and talk bad about you, but I would help you and encourage you. Therefore, you are in the wrong! God has hurt me so much and tossed me aside. I am sad not because of my sins, but because of His anger. Chp 17:10 Not a one of you are wise! Where is any goodness in my life? Do you see it?

Chapter 18 – Bildad – How come you have made us like animals in your eyes? Don't you understand that the wicked are the one's who suffer and you are now suffering. It is simple!

Chapter 19 – Job's reply- How much will you hurt me with your words? You constantly drain what little life I have in me, but for nothing! Now you see that everyone is against me, for you are also. I ask for justice but get nothing. Vs 11 I am now God's enemy! God must hate me! Vs 17 I am a stranger to my wife also and everyone I know young and old despise me! Vs 21-27 How come you hurt me like God? Take pity on me! I know that one day, after this life, I will be justified from this but for now you are being cruel.

Chapter 20 – Zophar – I am now quick to speak to you, because of what you have said. Don't you know that the wicked, though they live in prosperity, will soon be cut down. Their sin is revealed by their suffering.

Chapter 21 – Job's reply- Let me speak once more and then go ahead and mock at me some more. You know that there are many who live in sin and yet dwell in safety! Vs 14-15 You have a lost argument, because they have it so good, they tell God to go away! Both those who live in pleasure and in pain will die the same, but you imagine things that are not true.

Chapter 22 – Eliphaz – Does it matter to God that you are trying to make yourself pure? Keep trying! Will God finally say, “I was wrong and you were right”? Vs 23-26 You have sinned too much. Simply, ask God to forgive you and follow Him once more and He will help you.

Chapter 23 – Job - My pain has gotten so much worse today! If only I knew what I could do to plead with God! I know exactly what I would say and He would help me. Oh, I wish I had that chance to speak with Him for I have not done wrong! Vs 1o God knows though and is molding me, but (Vs 10-12) He knows also that I have not sinned and I have striven to obey His word more than anything!

Chapter 25 – Bildad – God is high over all and man is like a worm. How can you justify yourself?

Chapter 27 – Job's reply -Vs 1-6 As long as I have breath, I will not sin against God, nor will I lie about mine integrity just to please your foolish arguments! Chp 28:28 / Chp 29 – 30 Oh, if I were like before, when I was healthy and everyone respected me! People knew me and knew that I was wise, because I helped those around me and was righteous. I was a father to the fatherless, an eye to the blind, I sought to help all! I comforted those who were sad, but now everyone is against me and I have no one!
Chp 31 – What have I done? Can someone show me my sinfulness? I would most gladly confess it if I knew!

Chapter 32 – (Another person in the crowd that has gathered, Elihu is angry because Job has stopped the mouths of his three “Friends.”) I was afraid to speak for I am a young man and you are much older; therefore, I feared that I would not know what to say for you all are very wise. I understand now that God gives wisdom in man and He has given me something to say also. (Basis: Job 33:11-13) Job what you said was wrong, but I want to help you. (Elihu gets annoyed at Job and seeks to get the others to scowl over his sinfulness.)

Chapter 38 – God manifests His presence. Here I am Job. You wanted to argue with me, so here is your chance, but first let me ask you a few questions, seeing you have questioned me.

  1. Were you there at the beginning of it all?
  2. Are you all knowing of that which is in the world?
  3. Are you powerful enough to move the heavens?
  4. Do you know every experience, every creature?
  5. Do you know exactly why nature is the way it is?
  6. Do you make provisions for even the smallest of creatures?
  7. Do the animals and birds move and live because of your wisdom?
    (Job 40:2) It was at this point that Job understood his vanity in the matters of life.
    God was not finished with Job (Job 40:6-7)
  8. Can you condemn your own Creator and uplift yourself in righteousness?
  • 9-10 Go ahead, if you can and magnify yourself. Bring yourself into glory. Bring low the proud hearted and destroy the wicked.
  • 15, 41: 1-4 You would not dare mess with the biggest and fiercest of animals. Would you catch one like fishing and he would be scared of you? Would you make him your pet? Would you play with him like a pet or give him as a gift? How can you try to face the Almighty and seek to come out on top?
  • 42:1-6 Finally Job submitted and said, “God, you are above all and I am a sinner, for you are the Most High. I repent!”
  • 42:7-17 God rebuked Job's friends for their foolish, hypocritical arguments against Job and restores Job much more than ever, blessed him with great possessions, many children, and long life.
Now, will you Praise through the Pain? Will you Hope through the Heartache? Will you be a Strong Comforter or a Stubborn Condemner when others are in Trials?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Kind of Meeting Is It?

Every evening from August 5 th -8 th we will be having Worship services with Bro. Josh Aufdengarten as our special speaker. I debated on what to “call” this event. I know, I know, it should be called what every other person calls it, Revival. I suppose I am one who likes to stir the waters a bit. I simply called it RESTORATION DAYS. Though this may seem to be a minute difference. These are meetings specifically for strength and encouragement. I believe Restoration is a better word to be used than Revival. Revival implies a state of death, Restoration implies a state of weakness. The Christian has already, in Christ, been “made alive” 1 Corinthians 15:22, but he is called to “restore” others in the “spirit of meekness.” As I reflect on this meeting, I would like to put down a couple thoughts that I had written years back regarding Worship and Revival. God bless. “ Today, those who bear the Word of God on their lips seek to present it with a fancy flare. Preachers title their me

Complacent Christianity

We have our spiritual programs, concerts, and conferences We have mounted our doctrines, promoted our denominations, and pushed our preferences We have booked calendars, busy lives, and countless bibles We have bumper stickers about faith, T-Shirts with scripture, and a mass marketed message of the gospel Yet, there is a steep decline in church attendance, a constant scorn for holy living, and a growing disdain for one's fellow man There is confusion over identity, carelessness over eternity, and an increase of biblical incompetence Perhaps it is because Christians have sought the favor of man above the fullness of the Spirit We have heralded our denominational differences, rather than proclaim the gospel to all who will hear it We mask our fear of complete surrender by hiding in a pew and handing over a tithe We timidly wade the surface of Christ-likeness rather than willingly take the glorious dive We must come

Go and Tell

Go and make disciples is the Master's call Go and tell the world that He is Lord of all Don't just sit idly by, while you wait for His return Don't be like a Jonah, anticipating the world to burn A true believer will proclaim the news of God's salvation A true believer humbly wears the scars of persecution To mag nify the name of Christ and redeem the time To invest for eternity and shine His glorious light So why do we rarely seek for ways to spread God's Word Why is it that our speech is only filled with politics, fashion, or sports Why do we fight and toil when it comes to making money But grumble and trudge around when it comes to witnessing Do we really believe what God said is true? Perhaps, we want to “have our cake and eat it too” We must learn that to be a disciple is to bear the cross of Christ To further the gospel through a holy testimony and a faithful life