Skip to main content

HARMFUL HABITS



      “Dustin, I said no.” Dustin looked at the toy that he held in his hand, grumbling over his father's decision to not purchase it, and then threw the toy on the ground in defiance. Immediately his father administered due justice by popping him on his rear. Though only five years of age, Dustin howled in humiliation. “Dustin, you need to learn to not throw fits like that. I love you but...” “Excuse me sir!” Dustin's dad looked over the next aisle of the store and saw a short, chubby woman glaring at him. “Yes?” She put her hands on her hips in disgust and bellowed, “How dare you hit that poor defenseless kid! You should be ashamed hurting him like that. That's no way to be a good parent!” The woman then muttered a few more words at the father of which are not appropriate to write. With a stern look and a sincere tone, Dustin's father said, “Ma'am. I appreciate your care over my sons well-fare, but I can assure you that I am not abusing him. This 'harsh punishment', as you see it, only lasts for a moment but his bad attitude will remain a lifetime, if nothing is done.” Holding her head up higher the woman retorted, “No child should be hurt for being a kid!” “A kid? Lady, my son will one day be an adult like you and me.” 
       The women then slyly smirked and said, “Well, let's just hope he doesn't grow up to be like his father. Hmmpfh!” Dustin's dad stood over his cart full of groceries in amazement over what he had just heard. He then calmly replied, “Do you have kids, ma'am?” “Yes, yes I do! I have a boy who is 15 and a girl who is 7.” His father continued, “And do you care for your kids?” In anger she yelled, “Why yes I love my kids! What kind of a mother do you think I am! I would never harm them!” “Ma'am, let me make a simple point. I am sorry that I got you upset. I just want to ask a few more questions. Do you smoke?” “What? Why would you ask me this? Well, yes I smoke what's the big deal! It's a free country.” Dustin looked down at the ground wondering when he was going to be free from this adult spat but his dad continued the conversation. “How often and do you ever at home?” 
       “What's it your business? I get stressed easy so I smoke a pack a day! Dealing with a 15 year old is tough and yeah I smoke a little at home, but normally at work. Why?” With exasperation Dustin's father questioned, “How is it that you are so easily mad at me over disciplining my son, because you claim that I am 'harming' him in which he has clearly conveyed rebellion and yet you do not even think about the real harm you are causing your kids, yourself, and others every time you light a cigarette? It is proven that cigarette smoke is very harmful whether 1st hand, 2nd hand, or even 3rd hand. Think about it. I discipline my son to teach him to be respectful and to strive to do good. I do this not out of a desire to hurt him, I would give my life for him, but I discipline him because I love my son enough to get him to learn the importance of obedience and doing what is right. 
       The sting from his rear will soon go away and the only lingering pain he may have would be his broken pride and selfishness. However, you have just told me that you are selfishly harming your children in another way. They may not ever feel pain on their rears from being disciplined, but they may one day be affected by you through contracting cancer, or worse, by following in their mother's example and grow up selfishly smoking around their precious kids.” Without a word, the woman slapped Dustin's father, walked outside the store, and started smoking.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Complacent Christianity

We have our spiritual programs, concerts, and conferences We have mounted our doctrines, promoted our denominations, and pushed our preferences We have booked calendars, busy lives, and countless bibles We have bumper stickers about faith, T-Shirts with scripture, and a mass marketed message of the gospel Yet, there is a steep decline in church attendance, a constant scorn for holy living, and a growing disdain for one's fellow man There is confusion over identity, carelessness over eternity, and an increase of biblical incompetence Perhaps it is because Christians have sought the favor of man above the fullness of the Spirit We have heralded our denominational differences, rather than proclaim the gospel to all who will hear it We mask our fear of complete surrender by hiding in a pew and handing over a tithe We timidly wade the surface of Christ-likeness rather than willingly take the glorious dive We must come

WORLDCLASS SCRUTINIZERS

Lord willing, I will continue to post the "letters of Madam Darkshade", but for now, I am posting something I wrote a few days ago regarding criticism and scrutiny. Romans 14:1-3 , “ Welcome people who are weak in faith, but don't get into an argument over differences of opinion. Some people believe that they can eat all kinds of food. Other people with weak faith believe that they can eat only vegetables. People who eat all foods should not despise people who eat only vegetables. In the same way, the vegetarians should not criticize people who eat all foods, because God has accepted those people (GWT).” 1 Corinthians 13:7a, “Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person... (AMP)” We have lost the art of giving someone the benefit of the doubt. In today's society, perhaps even more in the church, people have become avid critics. At some point in life, we all experience both sides of the ju

A Refreshing Witness

Proverbs 25:25 states,  “As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country.”  Most Americans do not realize the privilege in simply having clean, cold water accessible in their home. When I fill a glass of water, to my shame, I hardly ever think about the millions of people who have died because they have no reliable source of water. Of course, in verse 25, Solomon was illustrating a bigger point than just quenching someone’s physical thirst. He revealed that “good news” can be refreshing and reviving to one’s soul. Do you remember what Jesus said to the Samaritan woman by the well? He declared, “ But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life  (John 4:14).” There are millions of lives spiritually thirsty. They are destitute of  the water of everlasting life.  They need the love and light of Jesus to quench their dry spirits