Skip to main content

"Prepping" in the midst of Panic

During this time of uncertainty, and almost seeming panic, many Americans are stockpiling goods to “weather” the storm of the Coronavirus. Sadly, the combination of fear, agitation, and haste does not bode well for the civility of your average American. In several stores across the country, fights have ensued over items that no one dared argue about just over a month ago. If you didn't keep up with dates, you would think that everyday was Black Friday. While we bulldoze our way to a store, buying in bulk, and then rush back home to hunker down and check the latest news report on COVID-19 (because that's the only thing on TV), perhaps we should take a moment to reflect on what Paul told young Timothy, not long before Paul was going to die for his faith, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind” (2 Timothy 1:7). How we respond to all that is happening will determine whether we truly hold this truth in our hearts.
The nature of our thoughts mostly leans into the realm of anxieties. Will I or my family get sick? How bad is this? Is it a Bio weapon or just a mild flu? What will happen to the economy? How do I know if I'm sick? Our country may be under a National Emergency but this doesn't mean your mind should be! The Psalmist once declared, “When I worried about many things, your assuring words soothed my soul” Psalms 94:19 (GWT). As the government tells us to shy away from social gatherings and the news throws us the bone of distress, I would suggest that you turn off your TV for a while and with the time you have at home, read the Bible and pray! What? Too simple?
Now more than ever we are concerned about washing our hands and defending against infection, why can we not be equally concerned with cleansing our hearts and defending our thoughts with His truth?! This “pandemic” has not taken God by surprise. He calls us to trust and persevere in prayer (Ephesians 6:18). Rest in His sovereign care (Luke 12:7), cling to His Word, and pray in everything (Philippians 4:6). God said in Isaiah 46:9-10, “Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wondrous One

In a dirty cattle trough lay the desire of nations (Haggai 2:7) Born in a lowly town, surrounded by livestock(Micah 5:2) Such an entrance would seem rooted in utter humiliation. Yet, this glorious scene invokes worldwide wonder! To announce the coming of the King of Kings, Angels would sing to common shepherds. Prophets questioned and angel's marveled, but none could comprehend (1 Peter 1:12) That the simplicity, the sorrow, the promise of suffering, and death Would somehow be part of the splendor of God's loving plan. So that mankind, filled with darkness and decay, Would soon be filled with holy light and experience spiritual victory.

Wanderers

One night I dreamed of a massive crowd aimlessly wandering through an empty town I tried to stop several people as they passed by But they paid me no heed, as If deaf and blind Finally I happened upon a somber, yet curious lad He asked me, “What brings you to the Town of Misled?” I said, “I'm not sure how I got here, nor for what reason.” “Well then” The boy smirked without hesitation “You're in good company alright, for we are all met with the same plight. Our vision is impaired, our understanding is empty. Indeed we are stuck in endless mediocrity.” Once more I looked around at all the hollow expressions Then stared back at the tattered boy with deep compassion “What can I do to help you and all of these poor souls? Perhaps some money for food, a strong education, and fine clothes?” The boy began to cry, while shaking his head “You don't get it sir, we already have plenty we possess. Our needs lie not in material wealth and f...

WORLDCLASS SCRUTINIZERS

Lord willing, I will continue to post the "letters of Madam Darkshade", but for now, I am posting something I wrote a few days ago regarding criticism and scrutiny. Romans 14:1-3 , “ Welcome people who are weak in faith, but don't get into an argument over differences of opinion. Some people believe that they can eat all kinds of food. Other people with weak faith believe that they can eat only vegetables. People who eat all foods should not despise people who eat only vegetables. In the same way, the vegetarians should not criticize people who eat all foods, because God has accepted those people (GWT).” 1 Corinthians 13:7a, “Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person... (AMP)” We have lost the art of giving someone the benefit of the doubt. In today's society, perhaps even more in the church, people have become avid critics. At some point in life, we all experience both sides of the ju...