Skip to main content

Rest and Rejoice

It has been a while since my last article. It seems as if right when Stephanie and I got back from vacation, I have been in overdrive. Most of the blame for such an arduous schedule falls directly on me. For this summer, I decided not to purchase any VBS material, but "simply" write my own. Now anytime I see the letters VBS I only think Very Busy Summer. Of course, this summer has opened up several blessings for ministry. One such is that I have had and will have several opportunities to speak at a Youth Enrichment program with roughly 25 kids.

Still, it can be easy in life to get so busy that somehow you find yourself blinded to God's blessings, embittered over ministry, and increasingly discouraged. I write this because this is what happened to me. For some time, my walk was just aimlessly floating on the ocean of life. My studies whether personal or for preaching seemed to have lost depth. My attitude and at times my actions little exemplified an "overcomer" in the army of the Lord.

Of course, in my many years under "fundamental" teaching, I have learned to wear a mask well. Yet, there is no masquerade between one's heart and God. You may have never experienced the same stagnate routine and sullen attitude that I write about. Perhaps, you are of the group that deems it necessary to hide and gloss over personal problems, because if one doesn't, it is a sign of "little faith" and spiritual immaturity. Of course, you would have a hard time with James 5:16a, which states, "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed." Either way, I am going to leave you with something simple and yet so substantial to daily living. It is one verse of promise that tore away the "scales" from my eyes and helped me find joy once again, setting me back on the path of simple faith.

              

During a time of prayer and study, I came across the well known verse Psalms 118:24 that declares, " This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." I have read and sung this verse over a hundred times, yet it is certain that through the revealing of God's Spirit, His Word is alive and its treasures are not limited to a one time reading. As I began to think over this passage, my heart burst with delight and my eyes with tears. Why? Notice the promise, This is the Day. What day, or more accurately, Who's day? It may seem cliché, but it is God's day. Paul said in Romans 14:5-8, "One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's."

Often, upon experiencing a trial or facing disappointment, I have heard people say (I am in this group as well), "This just isn't my day." Well, they are right. No day is. We are given an invitation to dance in creation's song, but we cannot control its rhythm. We begin to find the beauty of harmonic grace, when we acknowledge everyday as a day unto the Lord. Even more, the Psalmist declared that this is the day which the LORD has made. Do we truly realize that our tomorrows have already been sifted through the hands of God? That nothing has blindsided Him today, there is grace sufficient, and victory assured, because He has "made it." We can boldly claim 1 Thessalonians 5:24, "Faithful is He that calleth you, who also will do it", for if He made today, how dare we think that it carries with it far too many surprises for us, and far too many issues for God to redeem it for His glory. Every day, every hour, every second is in His hands. I needed to be reminded, once again, that there is Purpose, there is Protection, there is Power in each moment.

In light of this, our call is to rejoice and be glad in each day. This bears the same truth that Paul wrote in 1Thessalonnians 5:18, "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you", and Philippians 4:4, "Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice." The OT word for "rejoice" literally means to "spin wildly." It's not just from the mind to the mouth. No, somehow the understanding that in TODAY there is a lavish supply of grace and forgiveness, love and power, peace and joy, should make its way to our hearts and overflow. Simply, do you BELIEVE that " This is the day which the LORD hath made", and in this grand assurance, will you "rejoice and be glad in it?"
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Complacent Christianity

We have our spiritual programs, concerts, and conferences We have mounted our doctrines, promoted our denominations, and pushed our preferences We have booked calendars, busy lives, and countless bibles We have bumper stickers about faith, T-Shirts with scripture, and a mass marketed message of the gospel Yet, there is a steep decline in church attendance, a constant scorn for holy living, and a growing disdain for one's fellow man There is confusion over identity, carelessness over eternity, and an increase of biblical incompetence Perhaps it is because Christians have sought the favor of man above the fullness of the Spirit We have heralded our denominational differences, rather than proclaim the gospel to all who will hear it We mask our fear of complete surrender by hiding in a pew and handing over a tithe We timidly wade the surface of Christ-likeness rather than willingly take the glorious dive We must come

A Refreshing Witness

Proverbs 25:25 states,  “As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country.”  Most Americans do not realize the privilege in simply having clean, cold water accessible in their home. When I fill a glass of water, to my shame, I hardly ever think about the millions of people who have died because they have no reliable source of water. Of course, in verse 25, Solomon was illustrating a bigger point than just quenching someone’s physical thirst. He revealed that “good news” can be refreshing and reviving to one’s soul. Do you remember what Jesus said to the Samaritan woman by the well? He declared, “ But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life  (John 4:14).” There are millions of lives spiritually thirsty. They are destitute of  the water of everlasting life.  They need the love and light of Jesus to quench their dry spirits

WORLDCLASS SCRUTINIZERS

Lord willing, I will continue to post the "letters of Madam Darkshade", but for now, I am posting something I wrote a few days ago regarding criticism and scrutiny. Romans 14:1-3 , “ Welcome people who are weak in faith, but don't get into an argument over differences of opinion. Some people believe that they can eat all kinds of food. Other people with weak faith believe that they can eat only vegetables. People who eat all foods should not despise people who eat only vegetables. In the same way, the vegetarians should not criticize people who eat all foods, because God has accepted those people (GWT).” 1 Corinthians 13:7a, “Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person... (AMP)” We have lost the art of giving someone the benefit of the doubt. In today's society, perhaps even more in the church, people have become avid critics. At some point in life, we all experience both sides of the ju