Skip to main content

Surprised? No.

           A couple days ago, as I was walking into my house, my wife came to me and asked, “Did you hear about Jack Schaap?” Only a split second went by before I blurted out, “No, but let me guess, he had an affair with a young girl?” It is not because I wanted this to be the case, only that, to my dismay, such immorality seems to be on the rise amongst “preachers” (The quotations are there because I strive to emphasize the fact that every believer is called to be a preacher of the gospel). Without a doubt you have already heard the news and probably heard it long before I did. The only thing that has surprised me is hearing that Jack was counseling this teenage girl alone. Of course, I could be wrong about this all together. Upon confirmation of his fornication, I told my wife, “This doesn't surprise me at all. It frightens me, but it doesn't surprise me. I'm sure the media is eating this up and spewing out their own rants (I did not tell her this but I also thought about how the congregation was probably mixed with a huge wave of confusion and denial).” Of course, many don't want to believe this! How could he, this grand stature of a man, this colossal preacher of the Word, fall into such sin? For some, they ignorantly blame the teenager. Yes, this young 17 year old should have more of a level head than a 54 year old pastor who has, I'm sure, been preaching almost as long as I have been alive. Right? She practically threw herself at him. He was the victim! This notion is what North Carolinian's call Hawgwarsh. He is and will be held at a much higher level of accountability. Perhaps, others who were once strong fans of his are now bowing out and standing near the sidelines with the mockers. Still, some are sure to stick in there, seeking to minimize the falling debris from this fallout.

         I will now continual on to the reason why such news did not astonish me. Let me first state though that I do not like using such descriptions as conservative or liberal, but this has become the overall term that people use to describe churches. It is as if there are only two options. Somehow there are certain degrees used such as “They are a little more liberal than I'd like” or “They're conservative, but not too much.” How bold we are to “judge” the status of a body of believers by one general word, but I digress. I will sadly have to placate my audience by using this word “conservative” for the sake of understanding.

        The IFB (Independent Fundamental Baptist) Church of which Bro. Jack Schaap was pastor seems to be much like the church that I attended, during my teen years. It is heavily conservative. Why do I classify it such? Because there was a strong emphasis on women wearing dresses, men wearing ties/suits, teens listening to solely southern gospel ect. If you joined the choir, you were not to go to the movies, nor were you to wear shorts in public (if a man) or any type of pants (if a woman). I remember answering the call to preach at age 15 and not much later I went to see a movie out in theaters with my brother. When my Youth Pastor found out what I did, he chided, no, land-blasted my integrity. For the time being, I bought into the lie that doing such a thing could bring the wrath of God upon me. Interestingly enough, just a few months after that spiritual spat, we had a teen activity that was a mixture of scavenger hunting and truth or dare around town. One of the dares to get extra points was for a boy to relieve himself on a fire hydrant. How this could be tied in with up-keeping one's integrity I'll never know. Of course, I have seen this numerous times in many churches that love to describe themselves as heavily “conservative” or fundamental. One of the biggest problems with having so many “standards” is the reality that there are just as many “double standards” or hypocritical acts. I write this because I have seen some people get reprimanded by the pastor over a small preference while others, who have walked the same line, seem to not have to worry. They are either part of a certain big-shot family or have been in some kind of church position for an extensive period of time.

         Sadly, the spirituality of many professed “fundamental” Christians is that they have a type of selective preference wrapped up to look like a spiritual principal. (Bear with me as this will hopefully tie in with my prior mentioning of Jack Schaap) For example, I have a beard. I did not have one when I was a Youth Pastor, for the sole purpose that the Pastor, who I was under, told me not to. His reasoning was a bit weak, but I did not feel that it was worth aggravating our friendship over. The biggest arguments I have gotten is that it can look “sloppy” and that almost everyone in church likes clean shaven, but only some like a beard, so I might not have as many preaching opportunities. Of course, my reply to that is the fact that I have seen plenty of “sloppy” looking preachers who were clean shaven and I would hope that we would be more aggravated over the obesity in preachers than the facial hair. One preacher said that having a beard is one of the manliest things you can do. To this I disagree....It IS the manliest thing you can do! Alright, joking aside, my next reply to the later argument was that the only people in church that I would probably ever offend in having a trimmed beard are those who have more than likely lost their focus on the Savior and in some prideful disposition of holding to Pharisaical standards have placed their faith back on works. If this be the case, I don't believe I could to preach to them for long clean shaven or not, because they would not like what I would have to say.

        What has been done in “conservative” churches across America is that the power and personal working of the Spirit has been replaced by a list of standards. Schaap and so many other preachers have portrayed holiness as some clean shaven, suit wearin' southern gospel listenin', King James readin' lifestyle. But this will not hold water when faced with real problems. This is why so many people have to put up a front and wear a polished face when they “go to” church, because they are afraid of their life looking “sloppy.” They are in desperate need of being edified and encouraged but no one is willing to stick out a hand to help, because they don't want others to see that they too have scars. One thing that I have learned in my years of ministry is that not everything can fit into a neat box. There are some issues in life that can't be answered or overcome by just memorizing a few sets of scripture and checking off a “holy” list of rules. No. True holiness is marked by humbleness and love to others, by a delightful availability to the Holy Spirit, not by “religious” activity and blind obedience to some preacher's hierarchical demands. For many of the “conservative” preachers that have fallen in the ministry, it was not by some sudden mishap or a moment of insanity. They began to slip when they started uplifting the letter of the law and the power of their position within their hearts. When their preaching and life revolved around what one OUGHT TO DO rather than what Christ HAS DONE and what His Spirit IS DOING within every humble and yielded believer today. The flesh says TRY HARDER to be Holy, but the scriptures say TRUST HIM to produce in you the UNCTION and ACTION of Holiness. You see, the letter of the law kills, but the Spirit gives life. I can preach to people every Sunday a list of DO's and DONT'S until I'm blue in the face, but this is far from God's desire. In love, I must declare the power of the Holy Spirit and His working in each individual's life. I must stress the fact that it is by God's grace we can have victory from the enticements of sin, and not by our efforts alone. I must solely point to Christ. When a preacher deals with a man, the man will attempt not to commit any offense on Sunday or Wednesday, but when the Holy Spirit deals with a man, his desire for purity becomes a daily process of life. Alas, the Church boat of America is always so close to tipping over. You have the “Dogmatics” on one side rowing hard for Religious excellence and the “Charismatics” on the other side dancing while looking for land. There is still a select few who are simply looking unto the Master of the Helm, trusting that He will stay their course true to the end. They are resting with anticipation, ready to heed to the Master's call.

With all this said, my heart aches for the Schaap and Church family. I have seen what such fornication can do to a church and the pastor's family. More than anything, my heart breaks over the defamation of the name of Christ amongst the scoffers. The church I attended years ago went through a similar scenario only they experienced the fallout of a youth pastor, pastor, and then another youth minister! There is much devastation, anger, and hurt and only through Hope in Christ can the family and the church be strengthened to move forward. Sadly, for some, it only at these times when they realize that their once hardened standards are too weak to support their burdened souls and that all along true holiness is through a day to day attitude of relying on and rejoicing in the Savior.


*If I could recommend one book to be read by every pastor, evangelist, preacher, layman, Sunday school teacher, ALL believer's in Christ, it would be True Spirituality by Francis Schaeffer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Complacent Christianity

We have our spiritual programs, concerts, and conferences We have mounted our doctrines, promoted our denominations, and pushed our preferences We have booked calendars, busy lives, and countless bibles We have bumper stickers about faith, T-Shirts with scripture, and a mass marketed message of the gospel Yet, there is a steep decline in church attendance, a constant scorn for holy living, and a growing disdain for one's fellow man There is confusion over identity, carelessness over eternity, and an increase of biblical incompetence Perhaps it is because Christians have sought the favor of man above the fullness of the Spirit We have heralded our denominational differences, rather than proclaim the gospel to all who will hear it We mask our fear of complete surrender by hiding in a pew and handing over a tithe We timidly wade the surface of Christ-likeness rather than willingly take the glorious dive We must come

A Refreshing Witness

Proverbs 25:25 states,  “As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country.”  Most Americans do not realize the privilege in simply having clean, cold water accessible in their home. When I fill a glass of water, to my shame, I hardly ever think about the millions of people who have died because they have no reliable source of water. Of course, in verse 25, Solomon was illustrating a bigger point than just quenching someone’s physical thirst. He revealed that “good news” can be refreshing and reviving to one’s soul. Do you remember what Jesus said to the Samaritan woman by the well? He declared, “ But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life  (John 4:14).” There are millions of lives spiritually thirsty. They are destitute of  the water of everlasting life.  They need the love and light of Jesus to quench their dry spirits

WORLDCLASS SCRUTINIZERS

Lord willing, I will continue to post the "letters of Madam Darkshade", but for now, I am posting something I wrote a few days ago regarding criticism and scrutiny. Romans 14:1-3 , “ Welcome people who are weak in faith, but don't get into an argument over differences of opinion. Some people believe that they can eat all kinds of food. Other people with weak faith believe that they can eat only vegetables. People who eat all foods should not despise people who eat only vegetables. In the same way, the vegetarians should not criticize people who eat all foods, because God has accepted those people (GWT).” 1 Corinthians 13:7a, “Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person... (AMP)” We have lost the art of giving someone the benefit of the doubt. In today's society, perhaps even more in the church, people have become avid critics. At some point in life, we all experience both sides of the ju